In this video I am explaining which image formats are important in retouching, and which formats have my preference and why.
- The most important image file formats for retouching are RAW, TIFF, PSD и JPEG.
- RAW (digital negative) is a very important and flexible format that contains most information.
- TIFF is a preferred format for retouching purposes because, unlike PSD, it can be read by most applications.
- I do retouching in 16 bit instead of 8, for color correction to be more precise. Disadvantage: large files, especially when they contain layers.
- JPEG is in no way suitable for professional retouching, because by re-saving each time it compresses even more. If I receive JPEG from a client, I first convert it to TIFF, and only after that get to retouching.